Monday, June 16, 2008

Weekend Wonders

On Friday night, pizza night, no less, Matthew decided that he wanted to set the table. This is something quite new for us as we usually do buffet style around our house. He was very particular about setting his spot just right. He had the plate centered, the cup at the top right, the folded napkin on the right as well. Then he placed the fork on the napkin and the knife on the left. He looked at me quizzically and asked if that looked right or if the utensils were the other way around. I said, "Though it makes more sense to me the way you've done it, in nice restaurants, they do place the fork on the left and the knife on the right." He emphatically retorted, "Mom! In nice restaurants they wrap them up in the napkins!" I suppose that I might need to take him somewhere "nice" some day so he can see what "nice" is. ;)

On Sunday, 5yo Rose and I went out alone. I needed some blood work done at the hospital and then we went shopping for new bath towels. The hospital took *much* longer than I expected and Rose was very hungry so I told her we could grab a hamburger in between stops, teasing that it was "just because you have really neat parents who do that sort of thing". She said dramatically, "You mean, I have the BEST parents in the whole world!" I grinned at her in the rear-view mirror. She added in a know-it-all voice, "Well, along with Carl and Nancy, of course". This got a full-blown laugh. Carl and Nancy are our neighbors. Their grandkids come over a lot and play with my kids so we've gotten to know them pretty well. Nancy's grandkids are heavily male and she really enjoys getting to talk about girly things with Rose. I think she and her husband probably *are* some of the best parents out there but I find it so funny that Rose thought of them first on her list of "best parents in the world".

For more on table settings, click here.
To see a shining example of why we need more great parents like Carl and Nancy, click here (though I'll warn you that the comments down the page there aren't for kidlet eyes).

No comments: