Thursday, December 20, 2007

Serendipity

I admit it...I'm a sucker for romantic comedies. You've Got Mail, Sleepless In Seattle, Only You, Return To Me and While You Were Sleeping (as well as many others) are all DVD's that I have purchased and watch over and over again. Serendipity is also on the top of my list. I have watched these so many times that I can point out editing errors that should have been fixed. In Serendipity's opening credits, for example, you see them panning down some tall busy city building. What you might not have noticed is that, if you look closely, you can see the camera boom in the window reflections. In Romancing The Stone, the map changes several times from laminated to unlaminated. You also see Michael Douglas over-shoot the truck with his backpack and the supposedly remote waterfall cave they dig in? Yep, you can see the tire treads from their previous takes upon approach.

But none of these things ruin the movies for me. I'm a sucker for them. In fact, Hubby proposed to me after we watched Groundhog Day. It's "our" movie.

For those of you who are not romantic comedy buffs, the movie Serendipity, similarly to Only You, poses the question of fate. Are we indeed fated to someone or some life? Or is it all chance? One of the key scenes in the movie goes like this...

- It can't get any more clearer than this. I'm not supposed to be doing this. It's not in the cards.
- Hey, it's another one of your clues, man. Let's talk about it in the cab... on the way over.
- It's not a clue. It's a sign.
- What's the difference?
- A clue is what a detective uses to find a suspect. The receipt, the warehouse, that French guy-- those are clues. This is a sign. Me never finding the book, that's a sign. Sara never finding the $5.00 bill, that's a sign.
- How could something not happening be a sign?
- Maybe the absence of signs is a sign. Isn't it?


Well, I'll have you know there is no absence of clues or signs in what I'm about to show you. Let's see the clues first...
Clue #1:


Clue #2:


Clue #3:


Sign #1:
The 2.75 year old being happily quiet all by herself with the baby.

You always *think* quiet is good...it never is. So was this fated or left up to chance? I choose to believe this incident was 'opportunistic' at best. ;)

3 comments:

Stacey said...

Hahaha! Oh, how I feel your pain...we've recently gone through several scissor 'incidents' at our house (involving my window screens, my bedskirts, and my daughter's previously uncut hair). Clearly, the scissors are put away indefinitely.

Yes, quiet children are a bad thing. And they are precious even with chunks of hair gone!

Jen E said...

Uhhhhhh....yeah, I get nervous when they get quiet. LOL!!! It doesn't look too bad tho. :) BTW, I haven't seen Serendipity but I love John Cusak so I think I need to check it out.

Jean 2 said...

I now will be watching Serendipity over break . I can only enjoy movies at the theater with a tub of popcorn and big Dr. Pepper. I am hopeless! lol But I will give it a try.
I love the clues. I am not Sherlock Holmes-but hey-I solved it! lol
I think the baby did it. ssshhhhh