Thursday, August 16, 2007

Grease

First off, I had a total BLAST last night. Not only did we sing at the top of our lungs (thanks, Michelle!) but we were all given goodie bags full of interactive movie items. For example, anytime the guys got out their combs on screen, we got our our combs and did the motion. When Frenchie sang her "Beauty School Dropout", we all blew bubbles. When Sandy and Danny kiss for the first time, we had champagne poppers. When the dumb jocks came on-screen, we yelled out, "DUUUUUUH" and mustered up our best nerdy voices for "Euuuuu-gene". And of course we had little pom-poms for the pep rally and jingled our keys for the Thunder Road race...to just name a few. It was a great fun time and quite a few people dressed the part. Here was my feeble attempt...

I'm posting a picture *only* because some friends have begged me. But please believe, if I'd actually TRIED to make a costume, it would have been much more authentic, as is well attested to by previous pictures of all of my *homemade* costumes (shown below).

Squanto (I didn't make this one) and The Dynamic Duo


Matthew the Chili Pepper (6wks old)


Bob and Wendy


LarryBoy and Laura the Carrot


Shakespeare the Meerkat, a black cat and Indiana Jones


So you can see that I take great pride in making our costumes (where IS that picture of me as Leia and Matthew as Luke?). This family tradition was started by my mother. Some of her handiwork...

As kids, we were always very grateful to not have a store-bought costume that looked just like the other kids down the street. If we happened to be the same character, at least *our* costumes were original. ;) So you see, if I had actually tried for a Grease costume, a Grease costume I would have had. Last night was me rummaging through my closet for something that looked like it would fit the part. Maybe I'll have a do-over and go as Rizzo for Halloween this year. Though that costume I had last night *did* get me some checkin' out by some 20-somethings at Walmart after the event when I stopped to get diapers. ROFLROFLROFL

5 comments:

Donna B. said...

glad you had a good time! So funny about perspective...all my costumes were homemade and I always wanted a store bought one, that's why its so fun shopping for the kids costumes. Made me sad last year when I had to send my son out in something I had put together.

Anonymous said...

Funny jean 1, I was the same way. I never got a store bought costume and wanted one so badly growing up. I am excited that my DH and I are able to let our kids pick out their costumes at the store. Weird, huh?!

I've got that picture. I'll email it to you. (re: Luke and Leia)

You look GOOD! Right out of the movie! I'm glad you had such a good time. Sounds like a neat event.

Anonymous said...

Laurie, you are so cute! That costume is still great. My grandma made me a Red Riding Hood cape that my daughters now play with, and one used as a costume a couple yrs. ago. She was quite impressed it was still in use!

Jean 2 said...

I had a mixture of both in the costume area...but I will say my step-mom went to GREAT effort to make me my *royal blue princess* costume in 4th grade-and I won the contest (back when they didn't worry about other kids feeling bad and losers dealt with it)! So I was VERY proud. Perhaps the closest I would get to homecoming queen. LOL I say it depends on the creativity behind the costume if you need to shop for one or not. Looks like you are doing a great job! :)

Creative Life Studio said...

Oh, how fun! I'm WAAAAY jealous! I love the movie and would have loved something like that.

Your costume skills are terrific! We make our own too, but seeing as I pretty much only sew pillows (ie: a straight line), my kids costumes are rounded up with odds and ends and sometimes - quite literally - STAPLED together!

I have a belated ( :( ) award for you at my place. Please stop by and pick it up!

Oh, and BTW, I think I like the Bob and Wendy costumes the best! Very clever!