Thursday, April 20, 2006

Out of the mouths of babes...

A little girl had just finished her first week of school. "I'm just wasting my time," she said to her mother. "I can't read, I can't write and they won't let me talk!"

This was a joke passed on to me a while back but I have to agree with it in all sincerity. My report cards always said, "Laurie is a good student but she needs to quit visiting with her neighbors so much." What kind of socialization do people think their kids are getting anyway? Socializing with other kids their own age. What good does that do anyone?

My kids talk to adults at stores, libraries and restaurants. They talk to kids in our neighborhood and family members and playgroup friends. They talk to their grandparents. My kids will talk to whoever will listen...and many who won't. Socialization...hmmmmph.

No comments: